Make your own free website on


North Dakota Legislative Branch

30 days prior to the start of the public school semester, you must file an annual statement of intent with your local school superintendent. There is a specific statement of intent form to be submitted, available from the local school, the Department of Public Instruction, or the NDHSA. This statement should include your home school parents' and children's names and addresses, each child's birthdate and grade level, proof of identity and immunizations, a list of any public school courses for extra curricular activities that you plan on having your children attend, and an oath or affirmation that you will comply with all provisions of the North Dakota law regulating home-based instruction. The form must be notarized before submission.

The statement should also indicate your qualifications to supervise home-based instruction. You are qualified if:

You are a certified teacher certified to teach in North Dakota

OR a four year college degree OR

ou have a high a school or GED certificate and will be monitored by a certified teacher OR

you meet or exceed the cut-off scores of the national Teachers Exam (NTE)

If you qualify under option two, the certified teacher must spend one hour per week monitoring the program involving one student. If more than one student is involved, an additional one-half hour per month per student is required. The monitor must evaluate, on an outgoing basis, the progress that is being made by the student(s) and report such twice annually to the local school superintendent.

Interpretation of the monitoring requirement is under much debate, currently the homeschool program will not have to be monitored if they have been monitored for two or more years and the child has scored at or above the 50% on the composite score on a standardized achievement test in the previous two years.

You will also need to maintain an annual record of courses taken by each student including copies of academic progress assessments and results of nationally standardized achievement tests, administered annually beginning with grade three and in fourth, sixth, eighth and eleventh grades thereafter. The achievement tests must be given either "in the child's learning environment" by a certified teacher or in the school, if the parent desires. Copies of the results must be submitted to the local school superintendent.

All subjects required in statute must be included in your curriculum. These can be obtained from the local school superintendent and should also contain the requirements for graduation.